Monday, March 22, 2010

Back at CFMPLS, and cooking...

Today was my first day back at CF Minneapolis, and I'm trying to get back into the swing of things. I kind of went "crazy" with not working out and eating everything in my path  over spring break that it's starting to show in my performance.

Tonight's WOD didn't look all that bad on paper, and in all honesty it wasn't too difficult in actuality...but I'm still not entirely pleased with my output.

3 rounds for time:
10 Deadlifts (275# / 205#)
50 Double unders

Obviously, I wasn't going RX'd because 205# just MIGHT be my next deadlift PR, but I'll save that story for another day. I decided to go with 155# and try my best to count only double unders instead of mixing it up with singles like a usually do (counting a double-under as 3 single skips and then trying to get to 150 total). Tested out the weight and felt fine, but when I moved to the double-under trial run, I couldn't even get ONE! WHAT????

Yeah, so that kind of threw a wrench in my whole double-under plan, but I did my best. I finished in 7:36, mixing up singles with doubles when I could. I think my highest double-under streak tonight was 8 in a row; major slippage from my previous record of 31 or so in a row. Oh well, just gotta pick myself up and try something constantly varied and different tomorrow.

In other news, I've been prepping for some CFKids programming at St. Paul and am starting to lean towards this idea of fully integrating healthy eating and cooking habits into the programming. From the outset, I knew this would be a little difficult because CFSP is a gym, not a kitchen, so I'd have to find fun, easy, healthy recipes that don't require a lot of set-up. I did a lot of research last night on online kids' magazines and after-school programs to find a pretty sizeable batch of modifiable recipes. AND...that also means I get to "taste test" a few for convenience.

First up, I've been craving lots of salty foods again this week, but instead of resorting to my usual crackers and bread, I thought I'd do some lunch meat and cheese roll-ups. I found some decent, organic, free range deli meat at my co-op and this weird raw milk cheese spread. Actually wasn't too shabby - slice of turkey, slice of ham, cheese spread sandwiched in between the two and all wrapped up in a lettuce leaf. I would have taken a picture, but c'mon y'all...it's sandwich meat, not exactly the most intriguing meal to look at.

I've also been craving chicken salad, and found a healthy recipe on MDA for curried chicken salad. Made my own mayo and everything, which didn't turn out all that well, but according to Ryon it's because I used my immersion hand blender instead of a real manly man's blender. It still tasted alright, the celery and walnuts totally make up for the weird mayo flavor. Next time, I think I'm going to try this more kid-friendly pseudo-chicken salad with yogurt. Looks interesting...

And now to the grand finale: my pot roast in the crock pot that should be ready at 5:30 AM tomorrow morning! Smells delicious as the alcohol cooks off, and I'm hoping I didn't make a dreadful mistake when I was coating the pot roast with spices. You see, the recipe called for "pot roast seasoning packet" and I scoured the bulk spice aisle of my co-op looking for something along those lines to no avail. They had a lot of cajun or jerk spice blends, but I didn't think that sounded very pot-roasty...so I bought poultry seasoning instead. Hey, at least it had celery seed ground in, and that seemed more pot-roasty than cayenne pepper! I'll post the recipe for the pot roast when it's done tomorrow, if it's any good.

No comments:

Post a Comment