Thursday, February 4, 2010

Constantly Varied

Today I took the meaning "constantly varied" to a whole new level. I didn't just work out different muscles in a different way - I worked out at a different TIME in a different PLACE! Yeah - how's about some Crossfit St. Paul at 6:00 AM?

I went to St. Paul today to meet Mike Jones, the owner-coach of CFSP, and talk about my goals for the Level 1 Cert, see if there were still spots available (since it was sold out - boo!), and maybe if he'd consider me for a scholarship spot. And I got a great workout in and a friendly welcome, too!

First, we did a basic warm-up:
400m row, followed by two rounds of 10 reps squats, push-ups, sit-ups, pull-ups

Then, coach Mike said he likes to do a little lift skill work, and today happened to be push jerks, 5 sets of 2 reps. I started at 45# and moved up to 80#, and felt myself pressing more than using my legs. Something to keep an eye out for...

Now, on to the WOD!

Three rounds for time:
250m row (or indoor loop run)
30 Box jumps (women's RX = 20")
30 KB swings (women's RX = 1 pood)

I opted for the run because I honestly do miss running since it has gotten too cold out to do so. Plus, the row really wore me out in the warm-up! I ended up finishing this one in 13:18, a little slow for my taste. I felt myself taking a lot of breaks, especially on the box jumps. I don't know why it was so hard for me in the morning, but I honestly do chalk it up to my body just not being used to working out at that time (is that a cop-out?). My legs and butt also just felt shot from the get-go, and they got no reprieve in this workout. I think the combination of working out really hard after a brief hiatus, coupled with stress at school, has really tired my body out. Maybe I should take it a little easier the next few days and ease back into things.

We did some plank work afterward, and I held the plank for the full 2 minutes even though there were countless times where I just wanted to drop. Still, I felt the need to prove to myself that I could still finish strong, even in an early morning class!

No comments:

Post a Comment