Thursday, February 25, 2010

Getting back on track

I feel like I haven't kept up with this blog in the past few weeks, and for that, I apologize. You're in luck, though, because in an effort to procrastinate even more from schoolwork (that I probably should have gotten done in my 8 hours of free time today), I'm writing a recap of the pretty laid back workout we did tonight.


Tyler has gotten in the habit of doing weightlifting and skills training as a warm-up, which I like. Today our chosen warm-up was front squats, 3 sets of 5 reps each. I tested out a 45# bar, then threw on 65# - 85# - 95#. The last set wasn't so bad, but I could definitely tell it was getting tougher. I might be bottoming out on the squats, and I can feel my muscles fatigue in about the middle of me standing up, which makes it not feel as fluid to me. Tyler still thinks that I could have thrown more weight on, but the form didn't feel perfect to me.

The WOD was "Death by Box Jumps":
With a continuously running clock, do one box jump the first minute, 2 box jumps the second minute, and so on, until you cannot fit the prescribed number of box jumps in the minute.

These types of WODs are deceptive because they start out so easy, and then you start to see how the exercise eats up all your resting time. Pretty soon, you're not doing 10 box jumps and then 11 box jumps, you're stringing together 21 box jumps (because you get no rest - does that make sense? I'm kind of delirious right now...). Anyway, I was jumping on a 24" box and I got up to 16 rounds, but barely (I might have snuck that 16th jump in when the clock hit 17:01...so sue me). It felt easy until about the 12th minute when I started getting only 30 seconds of rest instead of 45 seconds.

I've been kind of in a funk lately, which could also explain my lack of posting post-workout, but I'm trying to swing out of it. Part of the problem is  that I've been slacking on my diet, but salty foods just taste so good right now (I won't go into the TMI of why). The other day, I just ate saltine crackers for dinner, leftover from when I had my stomach virus. Gross, I know. But that's how bad my body is craving salty carbs, even though I made all this excellent food for myself and have some great recipes planned for the weekend. This funk is just making me not enjoy good, healthy, nutritious food.

No comments:

Post a Comment