Monday, May 24, 2010

Heat Wave

There was a record high set today in Minnesota, breaking the old 1875 88'F temperature by 7 degrees...that's right, 95'F in the frozen tundra today! "Perfect" weather for a good 5 round run!

Strength component of the day was 1-1-1-1-1 back squat. I teamed up with Jessica and practiced my high bar position at the suggestion of Jake (in preparation for the weightlifting competition). I squatted less today, maybe out of soreness or just the newness of the high bar squat:

125 / 135 / 145 / 150 / 155

Then we moved right on into the WOD. Mike set a 20-minute cap on this one today, first time we've ever done that CFSP. I like it because it pushes everyone and enforces a "forced scaling" so that we don't take forever doing a workout that's supposed to be brief and intense.

5 rounds for time:
5 Sumo deadlift high pulls (women's RX: 95#)
12 Pull-ups
400m Run

I attempted 83# for the SDLHP on the warm-up, but quickly realized I wouldn't be able to maintain that weight, so I bumped it down to 73# for the workout. We had a pull-up focus session on Saturday morning, and Mike gave me some good pointers on the kip (really using my shoulders to open and close, rather than swinging vigorously with my whole lower body) that I kept in mind for the pull-ups. Neither of those two movements was all that bad, even considering the huge rip I got on my palm during round four. BY FAR, the worst part of this WOD was the outdoor run in the HEAT! My legs just felt like complete jelly, from my quads to my calves to my ankles. Ick...it was more like swimming than running (through the humidity).

I managed a 20:07 time - didn't make the cutoff, but I was close :)

No comments:

Post a Comment