Thursday, May 6, 2010

Off Day?

Crossfit today just felt a little off. I haven't been since the Saturday Murph Challenge, partly because this last week of school has been super hectic. I've also been carbing it up more than usual lately I think...probably because I'm nearing the end of my paleo challenge and the lustre of the first few weeks of the challenge has worn off. Must self-control!

Anyhoo, I wasn't exactly performing up to par today. Pull-ups are almost always in the warm-up and I could MAYBE do 2-3 together at a time. And I wasn't even stringing them together properly, it was more like 1 kipping pull-up, dead hang drop, then get back in the kipping motion for #2. Awful. Our strength component today was practicing the hang power clean. With the PVC pipe, I felt pretty good and I put 53# on the bar to start out and that felt too easy. Maybe I progressed too quickly to 83#, but I honestly thought it was do-able since my max clean is 103#. WRONG. I had some serious issues keeping the hook grip, getting my elbows up in the rack position, and possibly even catching the bar on my toes. Yikes!

We moved onto the WOD, and things got a little better.

12 minute AMRAP;
5 Deadlifts (275# / 185#)
15 Double-unders

I had originally wanted to go RXd on this one, but seeing as how 185# is my 1-rep deadlift max, I scaled back quite a bit...probably more than I initially wanted to, but it was still hard. I was able to do 133# and all double-unders. I'm getting much better at jumping right into the double-unders and not needing to do a few single skips to set a pace and rhythm, so that's promising! I managed 10 rounds + 2 deadlifts. I probably could have done more rounds, except that every time I had to switch to the deadlifts, I had to think about resetting, breathing, really gearing myself up for the lift.

That was definitely the hardest part about this WOD - switching from something that is more "static" like the deadlift to something that is faster and more dynamic like the double-unders. My body just was not comprehending the shift like it should have!

No comments:

Post a Comment