Wednesday, May 26, 2010

PUMP you up!

I wish there were some way I could inflect the Arnold into that blog title, but I didn't know how to do it without completely misspelling words and confusing people. Tonight I went to BodyPUMP at the YWCA with my good colleague Rachel J. Burns, which marks the last of my trial workouts with my friends at school.

BodyPUMP is essentially low weight, high repetition weightlifting - squats, lunges, presses, shoulder work. It was cool to see how these movements could be strung together in circuits to music and how instructors teach the lifts in a large class setting that differs from Crossfit. I felt a decent burn from all the curls and extensions - again, like Yoga Sculpt, I was working a lot of smaller muscle groups that Crossfit doesn't target. Biceps were by and large the worst circuit of the evening, but all in all an enjoyable evening.

I learned a few things from BodyPUMP aside from just doing the workout. Mainly, despite the large class (25+ people), the instructors clearly knew who the regulars were. Rachel even introduced me to her instructors, who were expecting me that day (we'd been planning coming to the class together for about 2 weeks now). I instantly felt welcomed as they showed me where the weights were, how to set up my workout area, and gave me a quick run down of how the class would go. It's important to remember how crucial it is to make new people feel welcome to a gym, especially if they'll be doing something completely new and foreign to their normal regimen (like weightlifting is for most people).

After class, Rachel and I also discussed the importance of having a workout buddy. She mentioned that she used to have a few people back home that would go to the gym with her, but since moving to MN, she's been going to most classes alone. And working out alone is tough. It's always great to have a buddy to hold you accountable for your goals and help you reach them, be generally motivating and encouraging. It's been an incredible experience being that buddy the past month or so with all my girlfriends!

No comments:

Post a Comment