Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Double your fun + breakfast goodies

After Friday's and Monday's "stanky leg," squat heavy workouts, our legs needed a break! So thank goodness today's WOD featured movements that focused more on our arms.

Today's workout was also focused on building skills, particularly the double-under.

For time:
21-15-9-9-15-21
Strict press
Double-unders

The lightest bar we have is the 33# barbell, so that's what I had to work with. Strict presses are tough since you can't use your legs at all. I figured I'd just go slowly on the presses and then rip through the double-unders, and that's exactly what happened.

I started out strong on the presses, busting out 11 or so in a row. The next few rounds I only managed 5-6 in a row, and had to drop the bar to the floor a lot more than simply resting it on my chest to take a break. Dropping it to the floor is more tiring because then you have to clean it back up to the rack position...but I guess that's just what happens when your arms just give out.

The double-unders went by quickly, despite how bad my shoulders were screaming. I set a new personal record today for unbroken double-unders: 19 in a row! Pretty impressive. I finished in 10:12, I think in part because I started rushing towards the end to get sub-10 and tripped up on my rope skills.

I sort of got my first taste of coaching today during the warm-up! We did 3 straight minutes of single skips and then had 7 minutes to work on double-unders. A new member that just joined around Christmas time had never done double-unders, so I gave her all the typical points: work on speed, minimal wrist and arm movement, try to to jump and tuck your legs, pike your feet instead, etc. And she actually got a double-under! How rewarding to see your tips and advice have results!

And in other good and yummy news: I made frittata this morning for breakfast with my brand new nonstick omlette skillets HOORAY! I'll try to post the recipe later this week with pictures, it was mighty tasty.

No comments:

Post a Comment