Friday, January 1, 2010

Holiday WOD, Part II & Some Good News!

Part II of my Holiday WODs in Austin, TX. Another day at Crossfit Central, but instead of the 6:00 PM class, I jumped in on the 6:00 AM class. Quite a different experience...

Women must be made of heartier, more enthusiastic stock because almost this entire early morning class was women! The morning started off with the typical CC warm-up led by Jeremy Thiel and Carey Kepler, both great athletes. We then progressed into a team WOD.

Max reps in 20 minutes:
Squats to medball
KB swings (12kg)
Sprawls
Dumbbell Push Press (20#)

I grouped up with two women standing next to me who were both CC veterans. We scrambled to get our equipment since the class was so big, but ended up with 15# DBs and a 14 kg KB. Oh well.

We did work at each movement station for one minute. Only one team member was allowed to work at a time, and only two team members could do the movement. The third person would do the next movement when we rotated after the minute was called. My teammates both started out with the squats, which meant I did the KB swings first. I ended up doing the KB swings for about 50 seconds, when Jeremy called "10 seconds left!" and my teammates were like "Are you going to do the whole minute???" Whoops, guess so...

I didn't let that happen again. We transitioned better the next few rounds and split the work more evenly. Our team got 622 total reps, which was great especially considering that we forgot to count our reps for the first set of squats and KB swings.

The drive home after the WOD was beautiful! Sunrise and moonset (is that the term?) both at the same time turning the sky this weird hazy-yellow red color. The shower and crawling back into bed afterward were even better!

Now for the good news! For starters, it's almost nearly official that there's going to be a Level 1 Certification at Crossfit St. Paul, which means I won't have to pay for travel expenses in order to get certified! That definitely helps a lot. What's more, Tyler may have hooked it up so that I get one of the scholarship spots at the cert, so I either get the whole fee waived, or even just a partial fee waived! He told me not to get my hopes up too much, since nothing is for sure yet, but even just having the certification nearby would help me realize this goal of mine, scholarship or not!

No comments:

Post a Comment