Saturday, January 2, 2010

Holiday WOD, Part III

Today Ryon and I joined our friends Bryan and Victoria at Crossfit Cedar Park/Tillman Training (HEY Y'ALL if you're reading this :) ). Nothing beats a good workout on a sunny Saturday morning.


We started off with a warm-up similar to Crossfit Central - high knees, jumping jacks, squats, push-ups a few times through. Then onto the WOD!

3 rounds for time:
400m Run
21 Wall ball shots (14# women's RX)
12 Pull-ups

I ate like utter crap yesterday, so I moved pretty slowly through this one. Also, right out of the gate on the run, I pulled something in my inner thigh/groin region that killed every time I ran. Ick. I finished in 12:52 by some New Year miracle. The wallball shots were definitely difficult because I usually have to use a 10# medball for everything since that's all we've got at CF Minneapolis. I was able to rip through the pull-ups pretty quickly with a blue band, though, so that made up for my slowness in the other movements.

A few noteworthy props to CF Cedar Park that gave me ideas for things to implement back home. First, the gym doubles as a physical therapy center and I believe some of the CFCP coaches are certified physical therapists. You can definitely tell that it helps to have some in-depth knowledge about how the body works - muscles, joints, bones, tendons - to be a good coach. Before the WOD, Victoria had some pain in her shoulder and two coaches were able to give her some good stretching pointers and feel around for the inflammation. What a great added bonus to have in a coach.

Second, there were three coaches there for the eight of us that decided to show up. I liked the small, more personalized atmosphere and the fact that during the warm-up, the coaches went around and introduced themselves to all the newbies. And not just in the the "Hi, I'm David" way, but the "Hi, I'm David, who are you and where are you from" way. They also offered help to the newbies when we were trying to get equipment set up - they didn't just assume that we knew where things were or what the gym's etiquette rules were (Yes, I know that sounds kind of silly, but every gym has slightly different etiquette and protocol rules. That's what makes them all unique!). I liked the added care and attention that the owner-coaches paid to the small, personal details beyond just coaching and motivating. It was a whole package deal that made the WOD that much more enjoyable.

1 comment:

  1. I am sooo happy to hear that you had such a pleasurable experience at our box! I def. love being a part of CFCP! I was happy that y'all made it this morning. I love seeing new/different faces. You did awesome today! If that's your slow I don't wanna see your fast. :) Hope that whatever you did to your leg is only minor. I stepped off the sidewalk while running and I think it's a miracle that I didn't do any damage.

    ReplyDelete