Thursday, July 1, 2010

100th POST!!!! And...First grocery trip

Yay! I've reached ONE HUNDRED posts! If this were anything like the movies, my 100th post would be commemorated with some special prize while I'm checking out at the grocery store...alas, I just got to go to the grocery store and pick up my first batch of groceries on my new paleo cooking challenge.

Here's what I've got cooking this week (recipes to be posted eventually):
Carrot chips (for the CFSP 4th of July potluck tomorrow)
Chicken cole slaw
Roasted beets and beet greens
Savory zucchini bread
Beef and broccoli stir fry
Sauteed amaranth greens
Peas and bacon

Most of what I cook is inspired by the CSA (community sustainable agriculture) box that I pick up every other week. I joined the CSA initially to encourage myself to eat more vegetables, although I have a feeling it's going to come in handy with this paleo challenge. My box costs me roughly $58/month, so that leaves me with $192 to spend on other food. I headed to the Wedge Co-Op after picking up my box to get meats and other packaged grocery, here's what I bought:

1 lb. Grass-fed beef stir fry
1 lb. Skinless, boneless chicken breast
Red wine vinegar
Chicken broth
4 cans Coconut milk
2 Green apples
1 Lime
Raspberries
Blackberries
Strawberries
Full fat Fage Greek yogurt

That was what I need mainly for my big meals this week. I also bought a few snacks:

Dry roasted salted cashews
Raw almonds (also good for making almond butter and flour)
Dried mango
4 Larabars (a weakness when they're on sale...)

I think I went a little overboard on the snacks, but hopefully I won't need to buy any for a while. My total grocery bill came to $75.12....yikes! I better rope it in for next week. In my defense, I bought more nuts and coconut milk than I needed, but the coconut milk was on sale, so I decided to stock up...

Just a small disclaimer here too: I've taken up ice cream making as a recent hobby, and it's a hobby that requires the mass purchasing of a lot of food ingredients (especially pricey chocolates, fruits, and dairy). However, since it's a hobby and I don't eat all the ice cream myself, I'm separating any ingredients purchased for ice cream from my regular food. I'm not going to make my roommate and friends suffer just because I'm on a challenge :)

No comments:

Post a Comment