Saturday, July 31, 2010

Salmon Cake Recipe

So I've been meaning to write a few more posts lately, but with the lazy days of summer, I just haven't gotten around to it. Also, since I'm changing the purpose of this blog to be less about my own workouts and more about the food I eat and my experiences with coaching, I've fallen out of the habit of posting regularly. To sort of in a way make up for it, I'm posting one of my more favorite recipes for salmon cakes!

I found this in my 30-Minute Meals with Rachael Ray cookbook. Loved that book in college, although I will say that RR loves to use a TON of ingredients. That's a little bit of a challenge for me since I don't particularly enjoy chopping up a ton of veggies every meal. That kind of defeats the purpose of "30 minutes," since she doesn't include prep time in her calculations. Tricky, tricky. Still, even with chopping, this recipe doesn't take too long and is well worth it. I like to snack on these puppies for a quick protein boost or put them on top of greens for lunch.

Salmon Cakes
18 oz cooked salmon OR 3 cans well-drained (I'm a cheapo so I buy the wild-caught canned stuff)
1 cup almond meal
2 eggs
2 tsp seasoning salt
1/2 red bell pepper, seeded and finely chopped
20 blades fresh chives, snipped or chopped
2-3 Tb fresh dill, finely chopped (key ingredient for yumminess!)
1 tsp cayenne pepper sauce (I use Sriracha or even just a tsp of cayenne powder)

In a mixing bowl, flake the drained canned salmon with a fork. Add the almond meal and work together with your hands. Add the eggs, seasoning salt, pepper, chives, dill, and cayenne and blend well. If mixture is too wet, add more almond meal.

Heat a large nonstick skillet with an inch or so of frying oil (I use coconut oil) over medium heat. Form 3-inch patties that are about 1-inch thick. Fry patties in the oil until golden, about 3-5 minutes each side. Drain on a paper-towel lined plate.

Enjoy with lemon juice or more Sriracha on a bed of greens!

No comments:

Post a Comment