Thursday, July 15, 2010

Coconut Flour Pancake Recipe

We're starting a Paleo Challenge at CFSP this month, and Mike was kind enough to put my blog address on the website as a resource! What does that mean for this blog? Well, most likely I'm going to make a few revisions about what the purpose of this blog is and what I post on here - probably less about my own workouts and more recipes, more observations about fitness, and who knows, maybe some relevant evolutionary psychology research that I'm doing...


To kick things off in this more "recipe-heavy" direction, here's a recipe for coconut-flour pancakes! Ever since I've been paleo, I've made almond flour pancakes, but I actually like coconut flour more (this is the first time I made them and WOW!). Coconut flour wins out with me because it results in a fluffier pancake (more like the non-paleo buttermilk version), the batter is easier to spoon out, and coconut flour is MUCH cheaper than almond flour. And with my own personal paleo challenge of cooking on a budget, that's really important to me.

A tip for cooking with coconut flour: you must use eggs and you must let coconut flour "rest" and absorb wet ingredients before cooking with it. Coconut flour tends to be really dense and it soaks up wet ingredients very well. As I experiment more with coconut flour baking, I'll update on my experiences...

Coconut Flour Pancakes (makes about 15 small pancakes)
6 eggs
6 Tb coconut flour
6 Tb coconut milk (or regular milk if you can handle dairy)
Splash of vanilla extract
A drizzle of Grade B maple syrup (or honey...OPTIONAL)
Pinch of salt
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/4 cup melted coconut oil

Mix all the ingredients together in a bowl. I always mix everything first, then slowly drizzle in the coconut oil while whisking, since it will harden when it touches cold ingredients (like the eggs). The other option would be to warm up the eggs in a bowl of warm water before mixing things together...but I'm lazy. Set mixture aside and let the coconut flour absorb everything.

Warm up a nonstick skillet over low-medium heat (for me, setting 4 out of 9). Spoon the thick batter onto the pan and cook on both sides about 3-5 minutes. The first batch of pancakes will probably take a little longer (as the pan may not be fully warmed up), so watch the batter closely. It will start to bubble on the edges when the pancakes are ready to be flipped.

Serve with a little honey, Grade B maple syrup, homemade jam, berries, etc. I'm looking forward to maybe testing this out with some cocoa powder mixed in too!

2 comments:

  1. Where do you get the coconut floor?
    -Mary W.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Mary! I get my coconut flour (and all my groceries) at The Wedge Co-Op in Minneapolis, but you can get it in any foods store, even Rainbo. It will be in the baking aisle next to all the nut flours for gluten-free cooking (in Rainbo, it's in a health foods aisle).

    ReplyDelete