Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Visit to TwinTown CF!

Next Monday, I have the honor of subbing for Teddy, owner of TwinTown Crossfit in Uptown Minneapolis, while he's out of town. So today, I went to check out his box and get the lay of the land and the vibe he creates for his clients.

Teddy has a martial arts background and it definitely shows through in his coaching style. He calmly approaches the workout ahead, warming up not only muscles, but tendons and breathing styles before diving in. And when I say dive in, I mean dive in! Today was a strength-focused day, and he had a more "hands-off" approach to coaching, just watching us do our thing from afar. But when it was time for movement correction or when he could tell someone was having difficulty completing the movement, his voice punctuated the air with such an enthusiasm that you couldn't HELP but shoot out of the bottom of your squat.

I was reminded of how we learned at our CF Kids cert that one of the best ways to teach kids how to squat is to have them sit at the bottom of the squat and then yell "GO!" so that the energy in your voice is mimicked in the energy popping them up. When I sub for Teddy next week, and in my own coaching in the future, I'll remember that the energy and enthusiasm that I bring to a class guides the energy and intensity of that class.

So onto the workout: 3 x 3 Front squats. I was able to do 93# / 103# / 108#. It felt good and I probably could have gone up in weight, but I was taking things easy and just trying to feel comfortable in the new space. We did a metcon after the front squats - just some medicine ball cleans and a 200m run AMRAP, but I don't know how much time we did it for (Teddy said it was a surprise). I managed 3.5 rounds in what felt like about 8 minutes.

I came home to make some steak with jalapeno butter (take about a stick of butter and mash a chopped jalapeno into it with a fork. Place in a ziploc bag and reshape into a usable stick). It went with a side of sugar snap peas and bacon - delicious! I also went ahead and made some fruit cobbler, since I realized the ingredients in it are very similar to what I eat in my yogurt breakfast - just fruit and nuts! The bonus is that I cook the fruit, so it doesn't sit in my fridge going bad. If you've got some extra fruit that you're not eating fast enough, this is a great recipe to use it up!

Fruit Cobbler
3 cups fruit (blackberries, raspberries, strawberries in any ratio you want or have. I'd go easiest on the raspberries, as they're the most tart)
1.5 cups almond flour (I process my own almonds into flour and actually add some pecans too)
1 egg
2 Tb coconut oil
Sprinkle of cinnamon
Freshly ground nutmeg
Drizzle of honey

Preheat oven to 350'F. Mix the berries in an 8x8 baking dish. In a separate bowl, combine the flour, egg, oil and spices together. I just toss a good bit of cinnamon on and just a little nutmeg for extra spice. The mixture should feel crumbly and thick. Drizzle some honey on top of the fruit, if you think you'll even need it for extra sweetness. Crumble the flour mixture on top to cover the fruit. Bake for 35 minutes.

Now in the morning, I'm going to reheat this cobbler and dollop on some Fage full-fat Greek yogurt and maybe a splash of coconut milk. The combination of warm fruit, crunchy topping, and cold yogurt and milk is delightful! Of course, you can also eat it warm on its own...

No comments:

Post a Comment