Monday, July 12, 2010

Saturday WOD and Cooking Update

Ok, so I need to play a little catch up here and update on a few things. Last week, I was out of commission for working out with this weird stomach weirdness, so I didn't work out until Saturday. But..I did do some cooking on the paleo challenge, so I need to update that (and also recap what I've been eating).

To start things off with Saturday's partner WOD. We formed teams of two, and I teamed up with Joyce, who always amazes me with her ability to lift crazy heavy weight! One of us had to run a 400m while the other did Tabata squats and then we switched. Each of us had to do 4x400m runs and then we added up our total squats. I managed 214 squats, but I don't know what Joyce got. I was SORE all weekend! My legs just burned.

Saturday I also bought a few things at the Lyndale Farmer's Market that I need to add to my paleo budget:

Eggs
Bacon
Beets
Broccoli

The total for the weekend came to roughly $14. Not too shabby. I was a little peeved about having to buy the broccoli because I actually got some in my CSA box last week, but it went bad before I could cook my beef and broccoli. Bummer. I really liked the beets though, so I went ahead and bought a second bunch to last me until my new box comes this Thursday. Can't wait!

Let's recap what I've been eating the past two weeks or so since I started this paleo cooking on a budget challenge.

Zucchini bread (breakfast)
Mixed berry cobbler (breakfast)
Flank steak (lunch/dinner)
Boiled chicken (lunch/dinner)
Sugar snap peas and bacon (lunch/dinner)
Beets 'n greens (lunch/dinner)

I also had made some chicken coleslaw, but I didn't really like it. I ended up using the boiled chicken just as a protein and eating it with other veggies. Also with the stomach issues, I couldn't muster up enough strength in the kitchen to cook, so I ended up cheating and ordering a pizza :( So if the above doesn't look like a lot of food to last 2 weeks, keep in mind I poorly "supplemented" with a baked potato Pizza Luce pizza...medium size...so sue me.

However, that did allow me to save my beef and broccoli recipe for this week. This is a great quick recipe that doesn't require too much prep or cook time. Perfect if you're in hurry and also if you're craving Chinese food, which is often covered in sauce and deep-fried. NOT paleo!

Beef and Broccoli
1 lb sirloin steak, cut into stir fry strips (I buy mine pre-cut)
1 lb broccoli florets
2 Tb coconut oil
2 cloves garlic, minced
MARINADE
1 tsp tamari
1 tsp dry sherry
black pepper
SAUCE
2 Tb fish sauce (or oyster)
1.5 tsp dry sherry
1.5 Tb tamari
1/3 cup chicken broth

First get your steak marinating in the marinade for at least 10 minutes, but the longer the better. I usually marinate my steak on the kitchen counter in my Pyrex dish while I'm prepping all the other ingredients - marinating and warming up to room temperature at the same time! Bring some lightly salted water to boil in a large pot. Cook the broccoli in the water for 2 minutes, until just crunchy tender.

Prepare your sauce by mixing all the sauce ingredients together in a bowl. Set aside. Heat the coconut oil in a large and/or deep skillet over medium-high heat. Add the beef to the skillet (it should *sizzle*) and try to get it in a single layer so it cooks evenly. Cook for one minute, and then flip as best you can. Add the garlic and "fry" for another minute or so before adding in the sauce and the broccoli. Bring to a simmer for a few minutes so all the flavors meld.

The sauce doesn't thicken because there's no thickening agent, but if you want a thick sauce, you can add a tsp of flour in with the sauce and broccoli (not paleo). I just spoon my beef n broc out with a slotted spoon and get a little juice. The rest I just toss because it tends to be a little too salty for my taste from the chicken stock.

Also up this week for meals, I made beets n greens again, and I also bought some fully cooked apricot-rosemary chicken sausage from the co-op. I'll be living off these two meals until Thursday when I get my veggie box - so check back this weekend for more recipe updates!

No comments:

Post a Comment