Friday, December 18, 2009

Finally Friday!

So things have been pretty hectic at school lately, and I actually can't make this too long of a post since I have a major hardcore statistics final tomorrow, but I'm trying to be more routine and regular in the postings. Here it goes!


I skipped out on Crossfit yesterday to "celebrate" being halfway done with final, end-of-semester hoopla. Two papers due, one on Tuesday and the other on Thursday, plus meetings all day Thursday. I needed a break! And I got one in the Holidazzle Parade and then drinking milkshakes and eating greasy burgers and onion rings with the gal pals :)

I also paid for it in the morning by feeling all sick and icky after all that food. Blech. Glad I had time to go to Crossfit tonight. The WOD was 2 rounds for time:

25 R arm KB swing
25 L arm KB swing
25 situps
25 R arm high pull
25 L arm high pull
25 situps

With a 12 kg KB (slightly less than a pood and about 26 lbs), I finished in 12:31. I think the situps are what allowed me to finish really quickly. I'm trying out this new technique with longer rep schemes where I try to get more than halfway done the first go at it. So, for this WOD, I tried to get over 13 reps before taking a break. Then, with only 12 reps left, I try to get at least 7 before taking another break. I don't want to get too systematic about it because then I feel like I'm not pushing myself, but at least it's a goal to work towards and keep me from just trying for 4 reps before taking a breather.

Another mental technique I'm trying out along with this one is to bust out as many reps as I can until I feel like I can't do another rep...then I do one more rep! It's kind of the same idea I used to have with stretching, back in my dance team days when I had to get good at the splits. For those of you interested in building flexibility, this is how I did it.

Let's say you're trying to build hamstring flexibility, so you lie on your back and pull one leg towards your face. A good way to stretch is to have a partner push your leg towards your face WHILE you resist their pressure. Do this for about 15 seconds or so, or like I said above, until you just feel like you can't resist any longer. Relax for 5-10 seconds while your partner still applies a little pressure on your stretch. Repeat 3-4 times.

No comments:

Post a Comment