Tuesday, December 8, 2009

The Power of Positive Thinking...and Functional Movements

No Crossfit today, as I had a late meeting on campus today with my lab group to discuss Revolutionary Road (the book AND the movie). Anyhoo, instead of talking about a WOD, I thought I'd share an incident today that made me realize how Crossfit has changed the way I think about things.

I was a little late to Proseminar today, a class all graduate students NOT in their dissertation year have to take. Bane of my existence. But when we showed up today, my advisor, Jeff, was talking about how the department is going to get all new office equipment and how this company is going to come in and set up all the equipment and furniture, BUT we have to move all the old stuff out ourselves. Since I was late, I missed what day this great big move was going to happen, but I honestly was EXCITED at the prospect of having to move furniture.

I know, totally lame, right? So tonight at our lab group discussion, I asked Jeff again what day we were planning on moving all the office furniture. I think he was even shocked that I wanted to know more details because he gave me an inquisitive look. I explained that nothing gives me more joy than moving large equipment and furniture. I related how for Thanksgiving, my roommate and I moved her big-screen TV out into the living room (this thing's gotta weigh about 80#). And I LOVED it. Probably because lifting and setting down a TV is like deadlifting a big weight...

I honestly enjoy applying the knowledge I learn from Crossfit about proper lifting and efficient movement into my every day life. And, like I told Jeff, I have to admit that I feel super cool when my wee little 120# self can move a 3-seater sofa. That's pretty impressive. Cannot WAIT until spring semester starts so we can make this move - I may even fly back from home early. Or is that pushing it?

No comments:

Post a Comment