Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Elizabeth...sort of...

Tyler picked the absolute nastiest day to change a named WOD into a WOD that included a run. It rained all day today, and I usually hate running in my Vibrams because they get all muddy and soggy on our loop around the Grain Belt warehouse (where our box is). I was all fixated on doing a 400m row instead of the run, but I changed my tune once I got to the gym and everyone egged me on to run.

So the WOD was "Elizabeth," just with bouts of running in between.

For time:
400m Run
21 Cleans (95#) and ring dips
400m Run
15 Cleans and ring dips
400m Run
9 Cleans and ring dips

I wanted to do 65# for the weight, but my gal pal Ginger was doing 73# and said that I should stick with that. Ahhhhh!!! Peer pressure!!!! I was also pressured by Ian to do the run instead of my wimpy row, and I'm glad I did because I got to time myself on it (and since running a 400m faster is one of my goals, I now have new measurements of improvement). Last time I ran a 400m, albeit not very quickly, I did it in about 1:58. Today on my first round right out of the gate, running super fast, I got 1:44. On my last round, running at my slowest, I was about 2:10. Yikes! Maybe I should add some sprinting every so often.

I did the ring dips from a box, which felt easier than doing them with a band, but I feel like my depth was better. After the ring dips, my arms were so tired that it made it hard to run. Yes, I know that sounds kind of silly because you run with your legs, not your arms, but I pump a lot. Or as Ian likes to put it, I "get the chip out of my back pocket and eat it!" That's apparently the motion you're supposed to make with your arms. Anyhoo, I finished the WOD in 17:48. And it KILLED me. I felt like vomiting after...which I haven't felt in a while. So, that's a good thing?

I came home craving bacon. But I only had 3 eggs left since I made that choco-hazelnut mousse dessert and I didn't want to use all my eggs on an egg and bacon dinner. So I made muffins instead and they turned out awesomely!

Maple-Pecan Muffins
3 eggs
3 Tb melted coconut oil (the recipe actually called for 2 Tb, but I read it wrong...still tasted ok)
3 Tb Grade B maple syrup
2 Tb coconut milk
1/4 tsp sea salt
1/2 tsp vanilla
1/4 tsp almond extract
1/3 c coconut flour
1/3 c almond flour
1/4 tsp baking soda
1/2 c pecans

Preheat oven to 400 degrees.

First I beat the eggs, maple syrup, coconut MILK, salt, vanilla, and almond extract together. Then I added in the coconut flour and almond flour. The "batter" became thick and more cookie-dough like, and it was tough to blend through with my immersion blender. I then melted the coconut oil in a separate bowl, and added it with the pecans to the batter. The last time I made these muffins, the coconut oil cooled down upon contact with the cold batter and congealed. It looked really nasty, but tasted fine, but I wanted to avoid that same mistake. So I mixed and mixed and mixed the coconut oil smoothly into the batter, last minute. Spooned the mixture into little muffin tins (again, it was very thick and doughy, not pourable like batter) and popped them in the oven for 15 minutes.

This batch tasted awesome and even better than the batch I made way back in October or so. I think 3 Tb of coconut oil was a little much, they do feel a little oily, so I'd recommend maybe 2 heaping tablespoons of coconut oil. But overall very good and a great way to enjoy my bacon!

No comments:

Post a Comment