Saturday, April 17, 2010

Slight Change of Plans

Today was supposed to be my first day teaching a Kids Class solo at Crossfit St. Paul. However, there was a slight change of plans, and I ended up doing a Team WOD at CF MPLS instead...

I was all excited to do my first kids class post-certification that I showed up 30 minutes early to the scheduled class time just to prep everything. Andrea, the co-owner of CF St. Paul, gave me a small whiteboard and told me where the markers were, and I immediately jumped to decorating it and writing the plan on it:

Warm-up game: Freeze tag!
Skill: Push-up
WOD: 5 rounds of {5 broad jumps, 5 push-ups, 5 broad jumps, 5 squats}
Game: CF Dodgeball

One kid showed up early with her mom (who did the adult 8 AM workout), so I included her in the lesson-making plan, trying to make it an authoritative instead of authoritarian process (hey, I didn't take developmental psychology for nothing!). She seemed pretty excited about class and I asked her about all the different sports she plays and we killed time by tossing one of those big stability balls around. But after about 10 minutes of that, it got boring and it also happened to be 9 AM - class time! Where were all the kids?

Turns out, the other 2 kids who were supposed to show up had gone to a sleepover the night before and didn't feel like coming in the morning (or so they texted us). I stayed positive and told the one kid withe me that we could still have a fun and challenging workout...but I think she was scared and decided to do yoga with her mom instead. I'm staying positive about the whole thing. I don't think it's that she didn't like me or didn't want to do the workout, I think it's a little intimidating and awkward to be the only student in a tough workout class. Better luck next time!

So I headed over to Minneapolis in time for the workout and we were going to have a group powwow afterward to discuss the merger, so I needed to be there eventually anyway. We did a team WOD with two teams competing against each other. It was like a "snake run," where you do something single file and the person at the front constantly changes (I can't really describe it well...sorry). The front person had to flip a tire forward, then everyone behind them had to do a burpee broad jump forward to the new tire position. While the rest of the team does the burpee broad jump, the tire flipper has to run back to the start line and then file into the end of the line. Now, the new front person flips the tire. Lather, rinse, repeat until we got down about 100 ft and then turn around and do it back!

Tires are heavy. Luckily, the girls in the class were allowed to have the guys help them flip. Honestly, the sprinting back to the start and then the end of the line was the worst part because it just got farther and farther as the tire advanced down the road.

I know today was supposed to be a rest day, and I probably shouldn't go do my strength workout tomorrow...but I'm going to anyway. I feel like I haven't been focusing as well on my strength goal (increasing Crossfit Total numbers), and I really need a day to work on some heavy lifting.

No comments:

Post a Comment